Back to Top

Home

 

 

 

Army Corps of Engineers towboat, Putah, on the Sacramento River, ca. 1950s

About Us

The West Sacramento Historical Society was established in mid-1993 by Bryan Turner and the late Virginia Seamans to preserve the  history of West Sacramento. The Society was incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 organization in March 1994. We began collecting historical items and promoted West Sacramento history through various traveling exhibitions.
On February 20, 2005, thanks from the city of West Sacramento, we established the first museum in West Sacramento.  After the museum closure in late 2009, we opened another. In 2011, we established the History Gallery, a small museum inside the West Sacramento Community Center.  The gallery has both permanent and temporary displays under the banner, “Our Journey“.
In addition to the History Gallery exhibitions, we continue collecting the history of West Sacramento. Our historical inventory includes three original community fire apparatus, Port of Sacramento photos and documents, scale models, photographs, paintings, newspapers, oral history interview and videos, and household and business related artifacts.

Our Mission

Collect-Preserve-Interpret

Connect with us

History Gallery: 1075 West Capitol Avenue, West Sacramento, CA

Office: 664 Cummins Way, West Sacramento (old Broderick), CA

Phone: (916) 374-1849

Email: WSHistoricalS@gmail.com

Fundraisers

Get a Scrips card and Nugget will donate a small percentage to WSHS when you shop.

Pick WSHS on Amazon Smile and start shopping. A small percentage will go to WSHS.

Replaces PayPal